Friday, August 12, 2011

Francesco's Restaurant and Social Media Gone Wrong

So I decided to start posting again. What better way to re-join the Bloggers of the world than by featuring a brilliant example of old-school thinking applied unsuccessfully to new-media platforms.


Francesco's Restaurant, near my office, is my favorite restaurant in Coral Gables, bar none. The tuna tataki salad is fantastic, the service is great and the ambiance (if a bit cramped) is friendly and warm.


So Francesco's runs a promotion saying that the 600th fan wins a free lunch for two.


And I see that #600 is there already:




Why would I click?


1. I am not going to be #600, a woman called Maritza won that.
2. I don't see that they have any on-going special offers.
3. I don't see that they give any loyalty discounts


They offer nothing... I give nothing


Yet, they could have had my name in the database to send me a coupon every so often, or a text message, anything.


But no, the application of old-school thinking, where there was only one winner to a promotion killed them. In today's economy my contact data has a value. I don't give it freely... I expect to get something out of it.


MS

1 comment: