Sunday, August 14, 2011

Bill's not alive

With the promising title "139.6 inches. Every one tells a story" the Fiat Cinquecento proves that, nope, you can't go back home again.

When the Fiat Cinquecento (500 in Italian) launched, they made a huge fuzz about "heritage". I guess they had some parallel universe in mind because, in ours, the 500's real heritage is being the cheapest car available in Europe. Our Tata Nano, essentially.


Creatives talking to each other but not to the potential buyers?

139.6 inches. Every one tells a story... plus... "simply more" yet, not a single thing explained or expanded. Odd, thinking that it is published in a daily paper. A very text-heavy daily paper. And you'd think that, by now, with dwindling readership and circulation, most people would realize that, if you choose to read a papaper, you want to read. So. Why not give me something to read? Something to pay off the story line?

No. Not exclusively creatives. Media people too!

The target, as explained in some of the initial press releases, is young. Newspaper readership is old. Oops.

Could it be that the ad is aimed at people who might consider buying the car for their sons or daughters? I bought a Mini, then a Jetta for my daughter. The push came from her. I just validated the decision (and signed the check). So, how about giving me some reasons to sign the check? Gas mileage? Price? Safety features?

There's still time to fix the Cinquecento's foray into the US market:

1. Give me something to sink my teeth into! It is not enough, today, to go through life with a few vacuous phrases like "simply more". Tell me a story. Show me why I should sign the check.

2. Talk price. Really.

3. Where do I find this? Mailbox? Dealer? Are there even any dealers around me?

4. Get your story straight -- heritage? more? stories? smoke & mirrors?

5. Get realistic about how you contact me: web works, mobile works, anything interactive works. Perhaps lend a few cars to Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile.

And, don't imitate the Mini so much. You can only do cute once

1 comment:

  1. i bet they have outdoor with qr codes in areas where there's no wifi or 3g signal

    ReplyDelete