Sunday, May 6, 2012

Is this the best-ever campaign for a college?

MDC - Miami Dade College grew out of its original --and humble-- beginnings as "Miami Dade Community College" into an educational powerhouse.

I've been following this campaign since it started and, in my mind, this is the best college ad campaign I've ever seen, period.


  1. It appeals directly to the community: all of these people are part of the fabric of Miami Dade
  2. Absolutely recognizable: the same format appears over and over and over: a 3/4 shot of the person, same background, same pose, same style: name and company
  3. Appealing to our intelligence: no one did the obvious dumb thing, which would have been telling us what each person did. We know some (e.g., Willy Chirino) and we don't know many. But, in every case, we realize that the person (1) graduated from MDC (or MDCC) and (2) must be someone
  4. Can be adapted to everything (except radio): small format ads, web, mobile... you name it, the campaign works in that medium
I know it is customary for bloggers --especially those of us who are in the ad business-- to criticize (oops, I mean "critique" of course) ad campaigns and, boy, I've done that with some. But this campaign for Miami Dade College (www.mdc.edu) is absolutely outstanding. Kudos.


And I happen to think that Willy Chirino is an outstanding person and musician

1 comment:

  1. Very similar to I am a Pheonix. Yes making people part of the community resonates well with a general audiance.

    ReplyDelete